When it’s rainy and grey outside, one of my favourite things to do is bake. In the spirit of staying indoors, this classic Cinnamon Teacake comes highly recommended for two reasons. You’re likely to have all the ingredients in the house (no traipsing about in the rain) and, well, it just tastes so damn good!
This cake is best served warm with a cup of tea, but be warned – it won’t last long, especially with hungry boys around.
What you’ll need
60g butter + 10g melted butter, extra
1 tsp vanilla essence
2/3 cup castor sugar + 1 TSP castor sugar, extra
1 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
What to do
1. Grease and line a deep 20cm round cake pan
2. In a medium bowl, beat butter, essence, sugar and egg with electric beaters until light and fuffy
3. Sift in flour, and add milk, stirring gently until smooth
4. Pour mixture into prepared cake pan, and bake in moderate oven for 30 minutes
5. Turn cake onto a wire rack, brush with extra butter and sprinkle with combined extra cinnamon and sugar while hot.