Buttery hot cross buns, truckloads of chocolate, four precious days off work – I’m so looking forward to Easter! I’ve been getting into the spirit by – surprise – doing some baking. These pretty little carrot cupcakes require very little effort and will be devoured by every bunny (couldn’t resist!). I varied the traditional carrot cake recipe with some pineapple, which gave them a lovely texture, and slivered almonds as to not aggravate my random walnut allergy.
Here’s what you’ll need
2 cups self raising flour
2 cups finely grated, peeled carrot (I used two large carrots)
1 cup desiccated coconut
440g tin crushed pineapple
120g slivered almonds (or walnuts)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
200g brown sugar
1t bicarb soda
1t baking powder
2t vanilla extract
1T orange zest
125g philadelphia cream cheese
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
60g butter, melted
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and either line or grease muffin tin
2. In a big bowl, mix carrots, orange zest, pineapple and 1 tablespoon of the pineapple juice, coconut, almonds and vegetable oil, then add in three eggs
3. Mix the self raising flour, brown sugar, bicarb soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a small bowl, before adding in with the carrot mixture
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared muffin tin, and bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating once during the cooking time. To test whether the cakes are cooked, insert a toothpick through the centre, it will come out clean when done. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
5. For the frosting, beat together the melted butter and cream cheese, gradually adding in the icing sugar. Ice the cakes with a spoon and you’re all done.
Enjoy your week! I need to think carefully about hiding places for the Easter eggs that are out of Lady Fluff’s reach. She just took a break from abseiling down the couch to say “Oh hi…”